August 25, 2022 – Government of Canada: Canada’s economic recovery is well underway. We have recovered 115% of the jobs lost during pandemic. In fact, our economic growth is beginning to outpace the ability of some employers to find workers. The country has faced shifting demographics, new technologies, and different practices, such as gig and part-time work.
Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, Carla Qualtrough, announced that Workplace Learning PEI Inc. (WLPEI), in Charlottetown is receiving over $1.5 million to establish the ADAPT project. The ADAPT project is a partnership between Workplace Learning PEI (WLPEI) and the Government of New Brunswick’s (GNB) Virtual Learning Strategy (VLS) adult-learner support model.
This project utilizes the Government of New Brunswick’s proprietary tools for screening for learning disabilities (LDORI) and their assessment for foundational skills gaps (ESSA) to target clients with learning disabilities who are employed or entering employment on PEI.
Building on WLPEI’s extensive employer experience and network, ADAPT is piloting VLS’s new service of applying the VLS support model, and their tools, to the workplace environment in order to secure necessary workplace accommodations for workers whose learning disabilities affect their workplace functioning.
This funding will enable WLPEI to provide learning disability awareness workshops for roughly 100 employers, along with an essential skills assessment for 500 WLPEI clients, and Virtual Learning Strategist services for 150 clients with learning disabilities.
Read the full news release here
Learn more about Workplace Learning PEI here
Employment Planning Resources
- PEI job opportunities
- Help with your employment journey on PEI
- Top 6 steps to successfully job search on PEI
- 211 PEI – Help is a call, text or a click away
- Changing careers? Looking for work? We can help!
- Career planning & job search tips for 2022
- Financial help for PEI residents & organizations
- Free Food Supplies for PEI Residents
- Emergency Housing options on PEI
- Mental Health & Addictions Supports & Services
- Post-secondary education updates
- PEI Employment Standards & Workers Compensation Board updates
- Working from home: helpful tips
- The latest employment news across Canada
- Volunteer options on PEI
- Employment-related Podcasts