What is apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a unique post-secondary training opportunity to earn while you learn. It is a combination of 20 percent in-school training and 80 percent on-the-job work experience under the supervision of a journeyperson.
It is a partnership between industry, educational institutions, and government. PEI has 58 designated trades. Being designated allows workers to become certified in a trade through apprenticeship training and/or certification.
If the designated trade is certified compulsory, you are required to be a registered apprentice or have a Certificate of Qualification to legally work in that trade in PEI.
The following PEI trades are certified compulsory:
- Automotive Service Technician;
- Construction Electrician;
- Steamfitter / Pipefitter
For more information about the Designated Trades on PEI, click here.
For data and projections generated by the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum and trades in demand for years 2020 through to 2024: click here
For more information, contact Apprenticeship Training Officer Kenneth MacDougall, 902-888-8034 or click here.
PEI Apprenticeship news you can use:
Related videos about:
For more information:
- Apprenticeship on PEI
- Charlottetown Apprenticeship Office:
- Summerside Apprenticeship Office:
Related articles about:
- Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security sector
- Auto Service / Small & Heavy Equipment Repair
- Automotive Dealerships
- Boat-building sector
- Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
- Career Development Profession
- Community Sector Network on PEI
(representing non-profit organizations)
- Construction – Commercial
- Construction – Residential
- Creative & Cultural
- Digital Economy Industry
- Early Childhood Education
- Education / Training
- Finance / Real Estate / Leasing
- Food & Beverage
- Food Processing
- Island Technology Professionals (ITP)
- Justice & Public Safety
- Municipal / Federal / Provincial Public Sector
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Professional / Scientific / Technical
- Renewable Energy
- Retail / Wholesale
- Road / Bridge Building
- Sports / Recreation
- Trades & Technology
- Other Industries & Career Options