Early Childhood Education: a rewarding career
“Between conversations with the Sector and PEI’s Early Learning and Childcare Registry, there is a large demand for more Certified Early Childhood Educators across PEI,” says Jennifer Nangreaves, Executive Director of the Early Childhood Development Association of PEI.
“Early Childhood Educators work in publicly managed and private Early Childhood Centres, in full-day or half-day programs, family resource centre programs, school-aged programs, and family home care,” says Jennifer. For an in-depth look at becoming a professional early learning educator, click here.
- Early Childhood Care & Education diploma
- Certified First Aid course
- A vulnerable sector criminal record clearance from the RCMP
- The ability to speak French (if working in a Francophone centre)
“When hiring an Early Childhood Educator, employers look for people with strong communication skills, a sense of empathy and compassion, someone who is optimistic, energetic and flexible. They also require a high level of creativity, initiative, as well as great problem solving, critical thinking, leadership, organizational and time management skills.”
Education options on PEI
- Holland College: Early Childhood Care and Education program: 2 years
- Collège de l’Île: Early Childhood Educator: 2 years
Job titles at childcare centres
- Director or Supervisor
- Early Childhood Educator
- Substitute Caregiver
- Inclusions Support Worker/Special Needs Assistant
- Early Childhood Educator Assistant
Positions can include working full or part-time with infants during the critical first two years of life, within a preschool program or with school-aged children.
Those interested in substitute positions can visit www.ecdaofpei.ca/educators/careers/substitute.php
For the PEI Early Childhood Educator Wage Grid effective October 1, 2021, click here.
PEI Early Childhood Education news you can use:
For more information about daycare regulations, visit www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/education-early-learning-and-culture/early-childhood-development.
For more about the Early Childhood Development Association of PEI, visit www.ecdaofpei.ca.
Daycare providers are listed on the PEI Early Learning and Child Care Registry (ELCC Registry) Visit https://peichildcareregistry.com.
- Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security sector
- Auto Service / Small & Heavy Equipment Repair
- Automotive Dealerships
- Boat-building sector
- Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
- Career Development Profession
- Community Sector Network on PEI
(representing non-profit organizations)
- Construction – Commercial
- Construction – Residential
- Creative & Cultural
- Digital Economy Industry
- Early Childhood Education
- Education / Training
- Finance / Real Estate / Leasing
- Food & Beverage
- Food Processing
- Island Technology Professionals (ITP)
- Justice & Public Safety
- Municipal / Federal / Provincial Public Sector
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Professional / Scientific / Technical
- Renewable Energy
- Retail / Wholesale
- Road / Bridge Building
- Sports / Recreation
- Trades & Technology
- Other Industries & Career Options