by Stacy Dunn
UPEI has a new Scholarship and Award Application portal where students can apply for scholarships, bursaries and awards for the first and second semester award cycles each year.
“It provides students more options for how they submit applications,” says Scholarships, Awards, and Financial Aid Officer Erin Morozoff. “The portal is a simple, four-step electronic process. Students have a lot to deal with, and we want to help them with a less confusing, straightforward process.”
Students use their UPEI ID to log on to the portal and choose and click on the awards they are interested in applying for. “They are required to write a personal statement tailored to the award criteria they are applying for. If they chose a financial needs-based award, they provide information to help assess their financial needs.”
Tips for applying for scholarships, awards and bursaries
- Start checking for what scholarships are available at the same time you apply to post-secondary.
- Do your homework and start early. “There are hundreds of awards available, so it takes time to read through and find ones you might be eligible for.”
- When applying for an award, make sure you are aware of the deadline for submission to avoid being screened out.
- Read the award’s criteria closely. Do your best to understand what is being asked.
- If a letter of reference is required, make sure it is the right type – for example, academics or personal. Tell the reference what type of scholarship you are applying for, so that the reference letter can be tailored to those requirements.
- If the application requires a resumé, tailor it to the requirements of the award.
Many scholarships are based on more than academics, and consider volunteerism, leadership, and extracurricular activities as well. “From involvement in campus activities or in the community, athletics, clubs or societies, or paid work, students are multi-faceted and the awards reflect that.”
Reach out for guidance
Erin encourages students to call, email, or drop by UPEI’s Scholarship, Awards and Financial Aid Office to ask questions or provide feedback on the application process.
“Additional separate application awards have specific criteria, so they are not listed on the portal as of yet.
“Also not on this portal are awards that are only recommended through the faculty. Students should engage with their professors and other faculty members throughout the year to learn more about these awards.”
The Scholarships, Awards, and Financial Aid Office promotes its services to students at the New Student Orientation Week, Resource Fair, UPEI Student Union, campus notices, and social media. They also work with UPEI’s Recruitment Office.
“Students must market themselves and show how they qualify for the awards,” Erin says. “When award committee members review your application, they need to clearly see how you fit the criteria.”
The portal launched in time for the university’s first semester award cycle, whose deadline is October 1. The second semester deadline is February 1, 2022. The deadline for high school students accepted to UPEI to apply for entrance awards is March 1, 2022.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
about applying for UPEI scholarships, call the Scholarships, Awards, and Financial Aid Office at 902-620-5187 or email email@example.com
For a full list of scholarships, awards, and bursaries available to Island students, visit www.employmentjourney.com and search grants and bursaries.