The sports, recreation, and fitness industry on PEI
There are a number of career choices in the sports, recreation, and fitness industry on Prince Edward Island, but opportunities are limited. Yet, with a mix of experience, passion, creativity, willingness to volunteer, and a proactive job search approach, it is possible to find meaningful work in the field on Prince Edward Island.
According to the Work PEI Employment Analysis , in May 2022, about 3,600 people worked in the Information, Culture, and Recreation industry on PEI.
According to the May 2022 Labour Force Survey, the number of people working in Information, Culture, and Recreation industry on PEI went up by 900 people from a year earlier.
Did you know… Canada is a leading sports nation?
Lacrosse is our national summer sport, and has been played by Aboriginal peoples for 1,000 years. Hockey is our national winter sport and was invented in Canada in the 1800s. Basketball was invented by a Canadian in 1891. Today, soccer is the most popular sport among Canadian children.
The Sport and Recreation division of the PEI Department of Health and Wellness provides expertise, funding programs and support to provincial, regional and local partners. This work helps Islanders enjoy the many benefits of participating in sports and recreational activities, and live a healthy, physically active life.
PEI Sports/Recreation news you can use
Sample job titles in sports, recreation and fitness on PEI
- Technical Director
- Executive Director
- Marketing Director
- Communications and Public Relations
- Personal Trainer
- Exercise Physiologist
- Event Organizer
- Fitness Instructor
- Swimming Instructor
- Gymnastics Instructor
- Recreation Program Leader
- Facilities Manager
- Ski Patrol
- Sports Physiotherapist
Examples of job options in sports, recreation and fitness on PEI
Junior and professional sports teams on PEI
- Charlottetown Islanders Hockey team | www.charlottetownislanders.com
- The Island Storm Basketball team | http://stormbasketball.ca
Sports, recreation and fitness organizations on PEI
Recreation at the municipal level
- City of Charlottetown | www.charlottetown.ca/contact_us/parks___recreation_department
- City of Summerside | https://summerside.ca/residents/sports_and_recreation
- Town of Stratford www.townofstratford.ca/government/about_our_government/departments/recreation_culture_events_department
- Town of Cornwall | www.cornwallpe.ca/parks-recreation
- plus other community municipalities
- Sports and Recreation division | https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/topic/sports-recreation-and-physical-activity
Sport at the K-12/ college/ university level
- PEI School Athletic Association | www.peisaa.pe.ca
- UPEI Athletics department | www.upei.ca/ar
- Holland College Athletics department | www.hollandcollege.com/athletics
- Physical education teachers
- Fitness, curling, golf
- Physiotherapy centres, dietician, exercise physiologist
- Sports equipment and apparel
- physiotherapy centres
- exercise physiologist
Sports/Recreation specific education programs available on PEI
- Holland College: Sport and Recreation Management program
- Holland College: Kinesiology program
- UPEI: Kinesiology program